Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Advice for a Financial Team

4 posters

Go down

Legal Advice for a Financial Team Empty Legal Advice for a Financial Team

Post by AddHope Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:35 pm

To begin, thank you to the legal counsel that are offering time and effort to our cause.

The Occupy Wall St movement has opened a bank account in the name and benefit of 'Occupy Wall Street". What are the legal implications of opening an account with a reputable credit union for OccupyJax?

Of course the finances accrued would only be authorized and used by the consensus of OccupyJax, voted on during the GA.

AddHope

Back to top Go down

Legal Advice for a Financial Team Empty Re: Legal Advice for a Financial Team

Post by shotinthedark99 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:06 pm

We had a rather strongly felt opinion expressed today regarding a bank account and leadership. This article contains strong arguments in favor of maintaining the leaderless style of OWS, which I personally agree with: http://us.news-republic.com/M/1/1366213

Secondly,at this time I believe OJax is too small to warrant a bank account, and our fellows in New York need funds far more than we. To unintentionally quote game of thrones: winter is coming.

shotinthedark99

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesM Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 pm

We may or may not need a bank account, but we are getting donations. I believe somebody volunteered today to be a treasurer, but I don't have his name. He said he had experience in payroll management, so that seems helpful. Zach A should have the volunteer's name written down, and I know the individual was in the tech group.

JamesM

Back to top Go down

Legal Advice for a Financial Team Empty There is legally no problem with an informal treasury

Post by I Sue Banks Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm

If there is no registered corporation or formal partnership, all donations are simply gifts to an individual, which may be for an expressed purpose. There's the practical problem that a treasurer can misuse the funds, but a corporation doesn't really prevent that. A formal structure AND IRS approval as a qualified nonprofit are required before the donor can deduct gifts on her tax return. This is not a good reason to go formal, in my opinion. Most people who want to give will do so without worrying about getting a small tax break.

- Wendell
I Sue Banks
I Sue Banks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down