Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling all teams:

+3
VerbatimCat
Dionnareilly
Geno
7 posters

Go down

Calling all teams: Empty Calling all teams:

Post by Geno Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Let me know what your team needs as far as technology goes.

I'm planning on using Drupal as our content management system and I need to create different groups with different access rights.

I'm thinking of setting it up similar to the following:

* Event Teams will be able to create/edit event and announcements
* Blog Teams will be able to create/edit blogs and extended posts.
* Education Teams will be able to create "books" which contain beneficial training material.
* Live Stream Team will have access to the streaming section of the site.
* Forum Team will consist of a small group of dedicated forum moderators. My first thought is Zach.
* Comfort Team will be able to set up lists of items we need and cross off items we have received.
* Human Resources Team will be able to view member profiles to see what skills and materials they can volunteer to the cause and place them in the appropriate groups and in touch with the appropriate team ambassador.
* Tech Team will handle all the behind the scenes administration and maintenance of the site.

Did I forget anything?

Geno

Back to top Go down

Calling all teams: Empty Re: Calling all teams:

Post by Dionnareilly Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:11 pm

what about the Political and City Council teams?

Dionnareilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

I can't really think of any special features they might need. I believe that the forums will suffice for them unless they wanted to post a blog or some educational material?

If you can think of any special features or access they might need, I'm definitely willing to try and incorporate it.

This post is mainly which groups need what. It might be a little too soon for this question since no one can really visualize the system and how it works yet.

I'm just trying to think of and incorporate all possibilities before we go live.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Dionnareilly Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 pm

ok I was thinking in terms posting article information and bill information on things that are going on in the city council to get information out to people. some of them are rather long

Dionnareilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Ohh, I gotcha.

I could create a section just for laws, statutes, bills, etc. that people need to be aware of. It could be like a sub-group of the education part.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by VerbatimCat Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 pm

I have to admit I'm a bit out of the loop on somethings. Prolly cause I wasnt able to attend last night as I should have, so my mistake and please bare with me for my ignorance in the matter.

It was my understanding that the Media group encompassed the basics of all media output; blogs, live-streams, photographs, interviews, and media statements.

I understand the necessity for internal grouping within media as an entity, as delegation is essential to progress in large groups. However, when broken down to levels of accessability needed, I'm weary of making distinct groups of different levels of permissions. My worry is that, for example, the blog group and live stream groups will take on their own aspect of autonomousness which could lead to friction of conflicting goals, unnecessary duplication of content, and and confliction within all involved in the media side of things.

I'm not suggesting that these groups don't get the permissions you've stated, they need them to do the job. But I fear fracturing media too much could lead to a hot mess of miscommunications internally and unregulated portrayal of OccJax to the public. For example, the two members of media I asked attend the meeting apparently have independently scheduled interviews with the same people.

I'm not asking for any personal power to regulate ALL of media, but we need to get some structure in place to stop this sort of wire crossing. Perhaps it's my fault for not having grabbed the attention of all media related groups to address this. But it grew so fast, I was completely unaware we even had live stream groups and blog groups.

VerbatimCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Well, we really don't have blog team groups and live stream groups yet. I'm just thinking, like you said, that the media team would encompass all the aspects.

Right now the social media team is listed under the tech team when it really should be handled by the media team. So I think some regrouping is necessary. The blog and live stream teams will be sub-teams of the media team, so when the media is ready to be released, they'll delegate it to the proper sub teams.

If the system will allow the flexibility I think it will, we should be able to give the permissions required to select individuals responsible for posting and updating. It will just take some planning in order to roll it out correctly.

For example the live stream team would only be able to update the settings to ensure the right stream is being broadcast to the site.

And as far as blog posts and such go, I believe we can set them at certain stages. An example would be - Blogger submits article and sets it as unapproved. Someone else proofreads and edits the document and then goes for final approval. Very similar to how main stream media is published. I'll have to work out the details but I don't think it's out of the question.

That would allow for a lot of the redundancy to be removed. (hopefully)

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by VerbatimCat Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Ok good! (phew!)

I'll make it my mission on Saturday to get media a bit more structuredto ascertain who needs what system privileges. Thanks for clearing that up bud.

VerbatimCat

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:12 pm

There were several writers, besides the poet, retired teacher there today. There were a few people who want to teach via responding to OWS bashing, i.e. Comments by our hateful Jacksonville T-U commenters objections, editorials especially local. Would they all be on Education or Media to use in blogs, etc?

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 pm

I was thinking about having two separate blog sections. One for official Occupy Jax writers and the other would be a community type blogging system where anyone is free to post their thoughts. Maybe we can have a simple voting system to choose which community blogs should be posted to the official blog?

We'll have to work out the details but this system will give us a lot of leverage with what we'll be able to do.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Dionnareilly wrote:what about the Political and City Council teams?

I would say those teams report to the blog team, and the blog team handle news and reports.

VerbatimCat wrote:It was my understanding that the Media group encompassed the basics of all media output; blogs, live-streams, photographs, interviews, and media statements.

And if the blog team content, should be under media, perhaps they turn it over to blog team in tech so it gets posted correctly?

I really think there should be a paring down of teams, top level teams with sub teams. The sub teams report to the upper teams. Chain of command and all. I just am afraid of too many pots on the stove and too many cooks waiting to eat.

I would be willing to set up the message boards so they can be easily maintained, and so there is a more guided direction to visitors looking for information. Of course the main portal will help immensely with that.

As far as users on the main site, I'm all for restricting it and all comments. Leave that for the forums, because if you tube has taught us anything, it's the greater public really doesn't need to talk all the time. Save it for the forums!

Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Calling all teams: Empty Political Teams

Post by omresistance Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:28 am

Yes, please, don't forget the political teams. Plus, we will need to link to lots of other stuff from the web site.

omresistance

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:42 am

omresistance wrote:Yes, please, don't forget the political teams. Plus, we will need to link to lots of other stuff from the web site.

That should come under the blog team. If pertinent information is found, they should handle writing up links, much like HufPo does.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesM Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Some restructuring of the teams may be a good thing. I think Media could be split between Culture and Tech, while still maintaining it's identity. Sort of a team for coordination between the two teams.

Something like this?

Sorry for the crappy diagram

JamesM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 pm

I think that's a great idea. I've been wondering how to handle that situation and that solution seems pretty elegant. I'll work that into the system.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down