Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Protest Possibility

+9
nownow
ZachAddair
skchange
melittophily
Corporation Cruncher
Keith
Squeoo
Toaster
js22520
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Daily Protest Possibility - Page 2 Empty Re: Daily Protest Possibility

Post by OccupyProChoiceJax Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:49 pm

I spoke on this today and I'm ready to do this. Been geared and ready since the beginning and it's obvious that others are too. So let's go!
Those who can make it, make it. Those who can't, come when they can. I won't be able to make every event but I'll try to make the ones I can. We need to plan each protest strategically ahead of time and research where we can stand, etc. but if done properly, we'll be successful.
OccupyProChoiceJax
OccupyProChoiceJax

http://ieatcatlitter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OccupyProChoiceJax Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:56 pm

nownow wrote:I feel like if we're to occupy a park 24/7 the most symbolic and the most attention getting park would be Hemming Plaza. It's right in front of city hall. It'd be perfect for demoing on Tuesdays when the city council meets. First Wednesdays we could march around downtown during art walk to make way for the vendors. Its in the middle of downtown and we could address issues of homelessness and poverty and set up a Food Not Bombs or get some of the local churches to donate food to feed the homeless population. It's fairly close to FSCJ campus, we could get students more involved. It's close to the bus station. We could post up bus schedules on the occupy sites. Like others have said its the center of the city. We would certainly have to work on logistics, legal team, prisoner support, and people willing to be arrested, putting together a team that could take care of possible arrestees personal lives outside of jail (if they have no one else to) such as pets, calling employers, etc. If we're willing to break the law if a permit is not granted. That would definitely be a big step to take at this point so I understand if it's not taken as of yet. But I do think if we all started bombarding the Park and Recs office with phone calls instead of just one team or organizing body it'd be a big show of our collective power. And hell yeah! Signs are a great idea. We could go to local business' and ask if they'd like to put a sign in the window and things of that nature. Signs in our yards is a great way to strike up conversations with our neighbors. I love all of you!

We cannot Occupy Hemming because every night we'll just be re-arrested and it will get really old to be arrested every single night and have to bail ourselves out. I don't have that kind of money, do you?

Art Walk is over for the season.

It's illegal to feed the homeless in Hemming Plaza.
OccupyProChoiceJax
OccupyProChoiceJax

http://ieatcatlitter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I have a possible great connection with Parks and Recreation. Let me know if you can't get audience.

Zach and I were speaking last Wednesday about doing a demonstration everyday as early as people can show up until quitting time.This could start this week. I've gotten a bunch of my business done and will be very flexible. This is effective because all day long employees are looking out their windows the CEO is hittin' his own personal, private, lavishly decorated toilet. ONLY target OWS targets. Guarantee Bank is a local back. We have plenty of Bad Guys: BofA, Wachovia, the Federal Reserve, etc. I was speaking to the Riverside group. They feel they are being discouraged to demonstrate in their neighborhoods.

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I have two contacts with the Parks and Recreation. I thought they had already been contacted. What's up?

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by KelliKing Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

*bump* ?? Weekday protests are better for me.
KelliKing
KelliKing

https://www.facebook.com/kelli.king2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennie Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm

We need to do something to suppor the Oakland Strike Smile
Kennie
Kennie

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Kennie wrote:We need to do something to suppor the Oakland Strike Smile

^ they will remember remember the 5th of november
Toaster
Toaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennie Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Well was hoping for something on the 2nd. Guessing no bites on that one though lol.
Kennie
Kennie

Back to top Go down

Post by nownow Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm

OccupyProChoiceJax wrote:
nownow wrote:I feel like if we're to occupy a park 24/7 the most symbolic and the most attention getting park would be Hemming Plaza. It's right in front of city hall. It'd be perfect for demoing on Tuesdays when the city council meets. First Wednesdays we could march around downtown during art walk to make way for the vendors. Its in the middle of downtown and we could address issues of homelessness and poverty and set up a Food Not Bombs or get some of the local churches to donate food to feed the homeless population. It's fairly close to FSCJ campus, we could get students more involved. It's close to the bus station. We could post up bus schedules on the occupy sites. Like others have said its the center of the city. We would certainly have to work on logistics, legal team, prisoner support, and people willing to be arrested, putting together a team that could take care of possible arrestees personal lives outside of jail (if they have no one else to) such as pets, calling employers, etc. If we're willing to break the law if a permit is not granted. That would definitely be a big step to take at this point so I understand if it's not taken as of yet. But I do think if we all started bombarding the Park and Recs office with phone calls instead of just one team or organizing body it'd be a big show of our collective power. And hell yeah! Signs are a great idea. We could go to local business' and ask if they'd like to put a sign in the window and things of that nature. Signs in our yards is a great way to strike up conversations with our neighbors. I love all of you!

We cannot Occupy Hemming because every night we'll just be re-arrested and it will get really old to be arrested every single night and have to bail ourselves out. I don't have that kind of money, do you?

Art Walk is over for the season.

It's illegal to feed the homeless in Hemming Plaza.

No shit its illegal. But who do these laws serve? I've served food to homeless in Hemming Plaza some years ago trying to start up a food-not-bombs chapter in jacksonville. We were successful for almost two months (thats at least from the time I started participating) before the city caught on to what we were doing and sent the cops in to break it up. I guess when you have a line forming of homeless people from one end of the park to other the people of first baptist get nervous (we did it on Sundays). The problem that I've seen in Occupy Jax is that most people, or at least the ones who feel they speak for most people, aren't willing to challenge the status quo. Honestly, the people I've been talking to don't want to participate in Occupy Jax because everything thats done is with the permission of the city. WHO ARE WE CHALLENGING? We've been allowing business as usual to continue without thinking twice of what business as usual means. Yes, you challenge power, physically question authority, and break with the status quo, you'll face consequences. Lets allow horizontal solidarity to prove stronger than orders from the top down. Look what happened in Oakland. The next day after it was raided it grew in numbers and strength. That is speaking truth to power.

nownow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2