Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Website Info

5 posters

Go down

Website Info Empty Website Info

Post by Geno Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 am

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been participating much in the forum as I should lately. I've been working to get our new occupy website online and I chose Drupal as the backend.

I figured it would be best to develop two sites. One just for official announcement and events and the other will be a community based site to encourage people to get involved.

The official site will be pretty basic and I'm just about finished up with that. For the community site, I'd prefer to have some experienced developers on board to give me a hand with the planning, development and execution of the site.

I'm planning on using the module "Organic Groups" to allow individuals to create their own working groups and organize themselves.

There will also be a community blog, an education section, a place for the library books we have and lots of other features. It's gonna take awhile to develop, especially if I'm working by myself.

I'd like to put a team together but I'm not great with the whole team building stuff so I'd be grateful if some of our experienced developers might be able to help out?

We would need:

An Information Architect to help plan the site, roles and content structure.
A database buff to help with data maintenance and optimization.
An experienced Drupal Developer to help the custom tweaks to the system.
A professional web designer to create the theme.
A Drupal themer to slice and dice the theme and get it ready for the site.

A better test server to handle the strain. My poor little test server was made in the mid 90's and only has 256MB of RAM. It struggles with 1 user much less a team of users. It would need to be setup as a LAMP server with security being a top priority.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you can help out either in this thread or by PM.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Website Info Empty Re: Website Info

Post by Shank Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:08 am

like i said i can help with almost any of that, im not extremely experienced with it..but shit..i've taught myself how to edit and design and code and everything else so i can probably help.
Shank
Shank

http://knowtoomuch.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:08 am

its probably gonna be quite the undertaking to get all that up and running.
Shank
Shank

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:16 am

Right on man, I would have made you a test account on the system but like I said in the post, my server struggles to just handle me.

Maybe we should look at some other community based sites and see how they structured everything?

I want to keep it as simple as possible for the end users but still have it powerful enough so everyone can speak their mind.

It's definitely gonna be a hellofa undertaking but it will be well worth it.

I'd like to make it an open source package so it will be like a plug and play solution for other occupations.

Hell, there's probably already a solution that would be better for this already available. We need to do some more research either way so we do it right the first time.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:47 am

look at other peoples sites... both occupy camps..and just other sites in general that are community based like that...

if you find one you like........jack it...

that is one thing i can definitely do is take somebody else's shit and make it where they wont even recognize it lol...i actually used to do that and charge people for the site ..ehhh..drastic times..drastic measures lol. i wasn't always "awake" though....i had my dumbed out hoodlum days but i still messed with computers no matter what lol.
Shank
Shank

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennie Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm not good at most of what your looking for, I am good at testing/giving feedback though. Letting you know any links that don't work etc etc..
Kennie
Kennie

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:37 pm

i can be architect.

Kennie and I are working on documenting ways to do video-conferencing. We're trying out Google-+ right now.

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by didactic Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 am

Hey fellows,

I would love to offer my time to the cause. I am experienced in web development; mainly using HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP with mySql. I also have administered multiple servers over my time.

However, I am a full-time physics student and I play in a band. So I know I could not devote the time required to fill any of these position solely by myself.

Also I have server space and bandwidth paid up for almost a year. I would be happy to help with hosting if needed. Although, its not a dedicated or vps.

didactic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down