Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help!

5 posters

Go down

Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help! Empty Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help!

Post by ZachAddair Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Just want to create a list of GOALS! Not beliefs, or values, but a current list of ever changing GOALS. Here is my list, please feel free to edit or delete or add your own, but I feel we can all agree on at least the following:

1. Keep working on structure (online and offline, fleshing out our groups and forming even more sub groups working on issues and problems at every level)
2. Everyone who's job it is for events and finding us a location need to be given priority. Getting a central 24/7 Occupy going will speed up our growth A LOT
3. Create, in coordination with Media and some sort of Spokesperson group, create Spokespeople for every group and therefore make every group prepared to speak for itself at local General Assembly and at upcoming national GAs.
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

http://waightstillavery.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help! Empty Re: Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help!

Post by Toaster Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:06 pm

i say we employ a scribe at every GA, to record all thoughts and transcribe them online
words mean more on paper than they do in the air
Toaster
Toaster

Back to top Go down

Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help! Empty Re: Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help!

Post by Dinahmoe Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:59 pm

I think one of the most important things is spreading the word. There was some flakey organization outside of publix this afternoon looking for money.

I really think it would benefit us greatly if we had representatives hang outside places and hand out the web address and tell them what we are about. We have people at schools, is there anything on the bulletin board at unf? (haven't been to fccj in a while so don't know what they have there) We got kids in high school, every single one of them need to know about this. Outside libraries, churches, stores? There are a million people here that need to know change is coming. Proposal I would like to present at GA. Needs input and help! Maarchs
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by abbyroad1 Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:
"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971... before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no
pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work. If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS

If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete. Please don’t reply to me. You are one of my 20+. Please keep it going.

abbyroad1

Back to top Go down

Post by melittophily Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am

I agree with Zach's suggestions and with having a secretary/transcriptionist.

Overall I'm pretty happy with us creating our own social infrastructure even if the 24/7 occupation turns out to be unfeasible in Jacksonville. We're in it for the long haul regardless and it shows we aren't just a bunch of clowns with signs.

melittophily

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:30 pm

I thought of another thing we really need, a communications officer. There are so many resources out there now, no one can remember who does what or how to contact them, we really need someone to handle the directory. This should of course not be public, but someone who has time and can direct info to the right person and receive and transmit help and ideas.

A perfect example of this, occupyjax com, org and net are all taken. Org points to the twitter feed, we have no idea who owns it. I think net is someone in daytona, but here we have 3 domains we can't use because of the lack of information. This is repeated through out the movement.

This could be handled really easily by using survey software on our hosting, the data comes back all nice and neat as csv or xls file.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Ok, more. As I was sitting at the library for 2 hours with no one needing any help, I thought it may be good to have general assemblies at different parts of town since the huge expanse that is jax is hard to get around in. Perhaps a ride share to help with the parking. For the largest park system in the country, it sure does suck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parks_in_Jacksonville
It's really more important to organize at this point than to be seen. Any thoughts about spreading it around?

The generalissimo was not at the library today, I asked the 2nd in command if we could put out fliers on the tables. He said he was pretty sure you have to be a non profit, I assume legal is working on that. I forgot to ask about standing out front and talking to people. FWIW, they are totally on our side, but they are a government subsidiary.

There was a post about the military, is anyone getting the bases on board? Navy wimmins club? How bout the black community? The people that got Alvin elected? We need everyone making less than a million a year to join.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down