Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Formal Press Release

4 posters

Go down

Formal Press Release Empty Formal Press Release

Post by Evey Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 am

Here is what I propose be our formal press release:

Hundreds from across Florida will assemble in downtown Jacksonville to hold the first Jacksonville General Assembly in response to the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City. As a leaderless organization, Occupy Jacksonville seeks to establish a permanent presence in the First Coast area.

At Hemming Plaza, 135 Monroe Street West, crowds will gather at noon to discuss issues, peacefully protest corporate greed and political corruption, and march Saturday, October 8th at 2:00 p.m. The People of Occupy Jacksonville are not governed by any one individual or group, but instead use the General Assembly forum—established by Spaniards earlier in the year and imitated by the Occupy Wall Street protestors—to create a symposium through which general consensus can develop. The first Jacksonville General Assembly will act as a “Town Hall” forum for debate, dialogue and dissent amongst Floridians who identify the modern economic climate as a key component to national and global unrest.

With 1% of the population overseeing nearly 40% of the nation’s assets, and with economic decisions in Washington D.C. and on Wall Street hindering progress in every sector across the nation, many are in agreement that something needs to change. However, politicians in both major parties continue to side with financially prosperous individuals and corporations at the expense of the other 99% of the population. Those include people of all political, religious, socioeconomic, racial and educational backgrounds. The Jacksonville General Assembly, in solidarity with the New York General Assembly and others across the nation, seeks to address these issues by hearing from all perspectives indiscriminately and forming a united response agreed upon by the entire collective.

Occupy Jacksonville wants to stress its nonviolent approach to societal conversation. Though many individuals will come together from their diverse traditions to protest and march in solidarity, the Jacksonville General Assembly will act as the cornerstone upon which the needs of the 99% will be cautiously built. The collective as a whole is its own spokesperson; no individual opinion represents the consensus of the Jacksonville General Assembly.

All are welcome. None will be turned away. Nonviolence is paramount.
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Formal Press Release Empty Re: Formal Press Release

Post by VerbatimCat Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Well said, and I concur. This should be brought before the General Assembly saturday for approval.

VerbatimCat

Back to top Go down

Post by OccupyProChoiceJax Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Hear, Hear!!!
cheers
OccupyProChoiceJax
OccupyProChoiceJax

http://ieatcatlitter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 am

Love, love, love this. (It really annoys me to hear someone who says, "Love, love, love ...".) My friends in the media are going to eat this with a spoon. Good writing, ma'am!

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 am

To clarify, my long-time media friends. I reread, sounded too glib.

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum