Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Education Blog

4 posters

Go down

Education Blog Empty Education Blog

Post by wkoch Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:18 pm

I was asked to set up a blog for the education wing of the Jacksonville movement. It seems like a good idea and I am perfectly willing to set up the blog and maintain it. If we are going to have teach-ins the presenters may wish to make some of the material they share, or perhaps lecture notes, available for us to share with those who don't attend the teach-in. This can also be a platform for us to attempt to educate others about many of the issues (for example the Citizens United court case) which were mentioned during the education discussion on Saturday.

Before I set up the blog I want to note that I am not exceptionally technologically savvy. I have my own blog I maintain so I have some limited experience with blogging, but I just use Blogger. If anyone would like to suggest I use a different platform for the blog or if anyone would like to volunteer to do this instead who feels technologically better suited for the job just let me know.

Bill

wkoch

Back to top Go down

Education Blog Empty Re: Education Blog

Post by Dinahmoe Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm

I have tons of blog software available, I have not heard back what is going on with the web presence. It can happen pretty much instantly. I don't like free internet sites, with your own hosting, you have total control over everything, no ad's unless you want them and so on.

You can check them out and try them here:
http://www.softaculous.com/softwares/blogs
I use b2evo, I just like it better than the others. Wordpress has an infinite amount of stuff for it.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by wkoch Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Wouldn't we need a hosting site for this? Or are you thinking we can use the Occupy Jacksonville site? I would have utterly no idea how to set something like that up but if you are interested in helping that would be great.

wkoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I don't want to do it, it's as easy as writing an email, it may look daunting, but it's not really once you get used to it.

I have hosting, I know people bought domains, just kinda waiting for things to gel I guess.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeropsia Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:10 am

I would recommend wordpress.com - it has free blog hosting, but also gives you the option to export your blog to your own host if you want to move. (For example, if the blog ends up on the occupy jacksonville website)

I'm not sure if Blogger offers this, but if it does, go for it. We may not even need to export it so go for Blogger if you are comfortable with it.

Aeropsia

Back to top Go down

Post by wkoch Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I will try working with wordpress and see how it goes. Updates to follow.

wkoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeropsia Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:04 am

Let me know if you need any help!

Aeropsia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:01 am

Sorry, I just saw this thread.

As Dinahmoe pointed out, once we get our web presence under control we could set up a blog instantly.

Just to verify I'm not getting confused, you said the hosting you could provide us doesn't have cPanel installed? If we could route the domain over to your servers could you assist with the installation of the required software if needed?

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 am

I have Cpanel, I can't share a Cpanel, but there is nothing in there other than metrics you need. I can install anything and share info. You have access to the server via ftp to modify files or upload shit.

The Occupyjax.org needs to be the main doman, it can link to other OJ sites, but again, for simplicity, OCCUPYJAX needs to be the word!
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I agree. The owner of that domain still hasn't come forward as far as I know. We've really got to get this taken care of ASAP.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by wkoch Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:22 am

Based on the discussion here I am holding off on trying to set anything up. It seems like the goal would be to have the blog as part of the official website so why risk confusing matters with a blog set up elsewhere that will have to be moved later.

wkoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down