Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Occupy Jacksonville Public Library?

3 posters

Go down

Occupy Jacksonville Public Library? Empty Occupy Jacksonville Public Library?

Post by Geno Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 pm

After the disruption at our last GA meeting that forced us to move to the library, it got me thinking...

Could we occupy the library?

It's public property right?
It has internet access and books, so we could suggest "real time reading" to people.
The way it's sectioned off, it would be easy to organize the layout.
It's got great visibility during the week.
And it's big enough to get us started until we can find something better.

I'm not sure if we'd be able to camp out or not and there aren't many facilities available after hours so we might need some porta potties or something.

Could the legal team look into this a bit more and find out if this could be an option?

Geno

Back to top Go down

Occupy Jacksonville Public Library? Empty Re: Occupy Jacksonville Public Library?

Post by Dinahmoe Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm

The libraries really have enough to deal with without more stress. They have spent the last 6 or more months worrying about if they would even have jobs now. They were for the most part granted a reprieve. These people are on our side. I support using them to raise awareness, but say absolutely not to occupying them.

The point of occupying is to raise awareness of evil entities, such as BOA, the Fed, Wells Fargo. I'd say handing out flyers or having representatives hang out there and inform the public would be a good thing. I spent over 10 hours a week helping out throughout the summer at Uni Park and I can say most users are our people. Yes it is an excellent resource, for free!

One more thing, just as an aside. When there was a push to lower property taxes on the rich here, they had operatives gathering signatures in front of the library. I cursed the asshole out as he did not get that he was getting people to cut funding of the service they were currently using. Or maybe he did and he was that evil. Anyway, we all see how the tax cuts worked out, more fees for the poor, less taxes for the rich.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Occupy Jacksonville Public Library? Empty Re: Occupy Jacksonville Public Library?

Post by lunarfaerie Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 pm

i agree with dinahmoe on this one...much like the art market...i believe we should refrain from disrupting the only source of free education & information access that still survives...despite budget cuts, lay-offs, and a ridiculous amount of neglect for such a crucial part of our society...
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:54 pm

I told them it was like Brazil there, they were all waiting for troopers to storm in looking for Tuttle. Jumpy, freaking out when I loaded up computers with open source software! Firing up ubuntu to show people they can compute for free! They were facing 50% staff cuts, they are to say the least, relieved. I haven't been by much, I have too much to do. People book me up on Saturdays so doubt I can get to many GA's. They have 15 computers in the training lab I have access too, projectors and such. It is depressing helping out these people desperate for jobs, no computer skills, no email, I do what I can.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geno Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it as a way to disrupt them, it just seems like the best spot downtown. Maybe it could help bring some awareness to their cause as well? We absolutely need more funding directed to our education system. It wouldn't have to be a negative thing.

Avi and I spent a good bit of time looking downtown on Google Earth and that's about the only spot with any grass that we could find.

I'm just throwing out suggestions... I'm pretty eager to get a "home base" established.

Geno

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down