Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enlisting families

+9
freetwilson
lotus86flower
Keith
Dionnareilly
Evey
WandaLou
VerbatimCat
Trizzle
j-villain
13 posters

Go down

Enlisting families Empty Enlisting families

Post by j-villain Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:29 pm

Try to encourage families of occupiers to bring any leftovers, food stamps, organic produce, love, gift cards for local bars, restaurants, etc. Don't piss off the 'rents! Smile
j-villain
j-villain

Back to top Go down

Enlisting families Empty Re: Enlisting families

Post by Trizzle Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice idea! Local restaurants are our best bet. They know we are fighting for them.

Trizzle
Admin

https://occupyjax.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VerbatimCat Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I will talk with my employer to see if they'd be willing to donate some food, hope everyone likes Chinese!

Random Info : Kang (K-ang) Yi (Yee) = Protest

VerbatimCat

Back to top Go down

Post by WandaLou Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:34 am

If we are setting up a kitchen or cook space, I have coleman stoves to donate and large cook pots for making soups. Everyone coming should bring a backpack and in that backpack, they should have their own cup, plate, and eating utensils and then would be responsible for keeping their own personal items clean. This will leave less "trash" behind for clean up.

If anyone has any "second harvest" contacts, we may want to contact them to have food or supplies that can maintain themselves delivered.

WandaLou

Back to top Go down

Post by Evey Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 pm

We may need to be careful regarding serving hot food (as opposed to just sharing pre-packaged non-perishables) because this may effect our need for a permit.
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dionnareilly Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi My name is Dionna I can help out with food by cooking or serving, I know most people are being ask to bring enough for what they will need. If I can help anyone feel free to email me deereilly91@gmail.com. There's a good chance of rain so I would suggest bringing a dry towel in a back pack and raincoats, ponchos..ect.

Dionnareilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Evey wrote:We may need to be careful regarding serving hot food (as opposed to just sharing pre-packaged non-perishables) because this may effect our need for a permit.
^ what she said

We don't need another Orlando-type situation (google: orlando food not bombs) while we're protesting something completely different.
Keith
Keith

Back to top Go down

Post by Evey Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm

You can bring food for yourselves, or to share with friends, but we are not a formal organization, just a gathering of people, so we do not have permit to serve food to strangers. It is illegal to give food to the homeless without a permit. The police have informed us they will arrest/give expensive citations to anyone they see doing this. You are free individuals and I cannot tell you what to do, just be warned of the consequences.
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Post by lotus86flower Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 am

OMG illegal to give food to the homeless!? I have never heard of that before! I have been a criminal all my life then! Razz So we aren't allowed to have a cookout or anything either correct? how much does a cooking permit cost?
lotus86flower
lotus86flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Evey Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am

It is illegal as a group to serve food. One person can give another person food (as far as I know!) without legal repercussions. Smile
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Enlisting families Empty Pot luck picnic?

Post by freetwilson Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:49 am

So I was thinking about the permits and regulations. Feeding homeless and all of that. What if those of us who can bring food and drink, bring... and we share. I saw a woman with a sign saying we are family. I share food with my family and most of my friends are considered family. We bring strangers into our lives all the time and seeing how I have relatives that have been, or are currently homeless. That would make homeless people kinfolk, right? As long as we all know each other near us by name who is to say we aren't friends. It doesn't have to be facebook official.

Bread, lunch meat and cheese, were all things we took the beach as a kid and it fed the twenty people that came with us...

Just an idea *shrug*

freetwilson

Back to top Go down

Post by smandi34 Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm

It would be another Orlando situation. I do not think we should risk our credibility by doing something we were told beforehand was illegal. It would give them ammunition to say see look they are lawless!
smandi34
smandi34

Back to top Go down

Post by EshAkiba Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 am

I would like to assist in feeding the occupiers this saturday. Can we form a DA group to meet and organize the details?
EshAkiba
EshAkiba

Back to top Go down

Post by EshAkiba Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 am

We can use food banks and churches to supply some of the food. even rice and lentils would be easy, inexpensive and nutritious.
Imagine the amount of food if ten of us went to different foodbanks (as to not wipe them out), then it is only a matter of preparing it. We can cook rice and lentils at home, bring them with us and serve them in cups, imagine how great hot food will be if it is cold and rainy.
EshAkiba
EshAkiba

Back to top Go down

Post by EshAkiba Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 am

We have maybe three days to pull together a DA group to form our strategy. I would be honored to recruit team members and carry a full time obligation to the Tactical/ Logistical Team of Occupy Jacksonville, indefinitely. I have participated in organizing and executing direct actions and have complete confidence in our ability to realize change through these actions.

Please message me that we may begin to form our strategy to effectively enable others through the sound logistics of mass sustenance!
EshAkiba
EshAkiba

Back to top Go down

Post by OccupyProChoiceJax Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Make sure you guys are contacting these homeless shelters ahead of time and letting them know before showing up with food. They may have regulations for drop offs and donations. Sometimes, people are weary to just accept already prepared food from an unknown source, you know. Especially if it's from a source like us. We're a protesting movement so they may be apprehensive.
Make the necessary arrangements now. Appoint someone to be in charge of this and call ahead.
OccupyProChoiceJax
OccupyProChoiceJax

http://ieatcatlitter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 am

Please respect our city's stupid laws. We don't want trouble, we have been warned. There are several "food banks and churches" that will appreciate your generosity! We would love to feed everyone. There have been many offers. We cannot do ANY cooking! Contact your city councilmen and women to change this and many laws that oppress the needy. I'm glad people are becoming aware of our needs! Of course, I will be sharing the refreshments I bring.

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by j-villain Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:24 am

It's funny how many extra things you find wrong w/ your gov't in the process of a protest. This is one example.
j-villain
j-villain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum