Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pardon my confusion...

+3
7eleven
Ligeiali
freetwilson
7 posters

Go down

Pardon my confusion... Empty Pardon my confusion...

Post by freetwilson Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:06 pm

When I started following this movement, as I understood it. We were standing up as a group of global citizens against corporations and government who treat us as ignorant cattle, taking away our freedom making us pay to breathe Earth's air. I am following on facebook, tumblr, and twitter. People are starting to say what about, this race, political group, culture.... tearing apart the whole purpose of making us united, regardless of those things.

The gathering tomorrow is NOT a protest, it is a gathering and we should be indignant when it is referred to as anything other than that. What we say or write is monitored. What we do is percieved as hostile. Everything is under scrutiny and we should always keep that in mind. WE are human beings on a planet ran by wealthy individuals who want us to continue turning our little wheel in our cage. Continuing to be blind to the freedoms we have allowed to be taken from us.

Am I wrong?

freetwilson

Back to top Go down

Pardon my confusion... Empty Re: Pardon my confusion...

Post by Ligeiali Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I think you have a valid point and are spot on.

Just my $.02... the economic troubles we're going through don't discriminate by political party, gender, culture, etc. We're ALL struggling and we ALL see that our system isn't working anymore.

United we stand, divided we fall.... isn't that the truth?

Ligeiali

Back to top Go down

Post by 7eleven Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

i agree 100% ! the leaders of the facebook community should not have the control they have , they blocked me from being able to post on the site at all and removed all of my posts as well. Other Occupys have contacted them and told them they should not be blocking people or censoring anything other then direct threats or bashing , which i did neither ! We need a more mature organizer !

7eleven

Back to top Go down

Pardon my confusion... Empty Original position of OWS...

Post by jplaaten Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:59 am

I present here, for the memory refreshment of all, what led to the birth of OWS, thier demands and declaration...
First, the demands to congress...

LIST OF PROPOSED "DEMANDS FOR CONGRESS"

CONGRESS PASS HR 1489 ("RETURN TO PRUDENT BANKING ACT" http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1489 ). THIS REINSTATES MANY PROVISIONS OF THE GLASS-STEAGALL ACT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass–Steagall_Act --- Wiki entry summary: The repeal of provisions of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 by the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act in 1999 effectively removed the separation that previously existed between investment banking which issued securities and commercial banks which accepted deposits. The deregulation also removed conflict of interest prohibitions between investment bankers serving as officers of commercial banks. Most economists believe this repeal directly contributed to the severity of the Financial crisis of 2007–2011 by allowing Wall Street investment banking firms to gamble with their depositors' money that was held in commercial banks owned or created by the investment firms. Here's detail on repeal in 1999 and how it happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass–Steagall_Act#Repeal .

USE CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY AND OVERSIGHT TO ENSURE APPROPRIATE FEDERAL AGENCIES FULLY INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE THE WALL STREET CRIMINALS who clearly broke the law and helped cause the 2008 financial crisis in the following notable cases: (insert list of the most clear cut criminal actions). There is a pretty broad consensus that there is a clear group of people who got away with millions / billions illegally and haven't been brought to justice. Boy would this be long overdue and cathartic for millions of Americans. It would also be a shot across the bow for the financial industry. If you watch the solidly researched and awared winning documentary film "Inside Job" that was narrated by Matt Damon (pretty brave Matt!) and do other research, it wouldn't take long to develop the list.

CONGRESS ENACT LEGISLATION TO PROTECT OUR DEMOCRACY BY REVERSING THE EFFECTS OF THE CITIZENS UNITED SUPREME COURT DECISION which essentially said corporations can spend as much as they want on elections. The result is that corporations can pretty much buy elections. Corporations should be highly limited in ability to contribute to political campaigns no matter what the election and no matter what the form of media. This legislation should also RE-ESTABLISH THE PUBLIC AIRWAVES IN THE U.S. SO THAT POLITICAL CANDIDATES ARE GIVEN EQUAL TIME FOR FREE AT REASONABLE INTERVALS IN DAILY PROGRAMMING DURING CAMPAIGN SEASON. The same should extend to other media.

CONGRESS PASS THE BUFFETT RULE ON FAIR TAXATION SO THE RICH AND CORPORATIONS PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE & CLOSE CORPORATE TAX LOOP HOLES AND ENACT A PROHIBITION ON HIDING FUNDS OFF SHORE. No more GE paying zero or negative taxes. Pass the Buffet Rule on fair taxation so the rich pay their fair share. (If we have a really had a good negotiating position and have the place surrounded, we could actually dial up taxes on millionaires, billionaires and corporations even higher...back to what they once were in the 50's and 60's.

CONGRESS COMPLETELY REVAMP THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION and staff it at all levels with proven professionals who get the job done protecting the integrity of the marketplace so citizens and investors are both protected. This agency needs a large staff and needs to be well-funded. It's currently has a joke of a budget and is run by Wall St. insiders who often leave for high ticket cushy jobs with the corporations they were just regulating. Hmmm.

CONGRESS PASS SPECIFIC AND EFFECTIVE LAWS LIMITING THE INFLUENCE OF LOBBYISTS AND ELIMINATING THE PRACTICE OF LOBBYISTS WRITING LEGISLATION THAT ENDS UP ON THE FLOOR OF CONGRESS.

CONGRESS PASSING "Revolving Door Legislation" LEGISLATION ELIMINATING THE ABILITY OF FORMER GOVERNMENT REGULATORS GOING TO WORK FOR CORPORATIONS THAT THEY ONCE REGULATED. So, you don't get to work at the FDA for five years playing softball with Pfizer and then go to work for Pfizer making $195,000 a year. While they're at it, Congress should pass specific and effective laws to enforce strict judicial standards of conduct in matters concerning conflicts of interest. So long as judges are culled from the ranks of corporate attorneys the 1% will retain control.

ELIMINATE "PERSONHOOD" LEGAL STATUS FOR CORPORATIONS. The film "The Corporation" has a great section on how corporations won "personhood status". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SuUzmqBewg . Fast-forward to 2:20. It'll blow your mind. The 14th amendment was supposed to give equal rights to African Americans. It said you "can't deprive a person of life, liberty or property without due process of law". Corporation lawyers wanted corporations to have more power so they basically said "corporations are people." Amazingly, between 1890 and 1910 there were 307 cases brought before the court under the 14th amendment. 288 of these brought by corporations and only 19 by African Americans. 600,000 people were killed to get rights for people and then judges applied those rights to capital and property while stripping them from people. It's time to set this straight.

NOTE 1: This is from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter from the Birmingham Jail":

"Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks to so dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent-resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half-truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, we must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood."

Secondly,the Declaration...

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City
Posted on September 30, 2011 by NYCGA
This document was accepted by the NYC General Assembly on september 29, 2011
Translations: French, Slovak, Spanish, German, Italian

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.
They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.
They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts. *

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

So, yes, this is a protest of all these injustices. Additionally, we all have our personal concerns but OWS laid out a specific and critical agenda which was adopted by our masses with "Occupys" all over the country. The basic demands need to be aggressively pursued and accomplished. If the message gets diluted by everyone's pet interests and goals, the Movement will become more and more fractionated and fail I fear.

jplaaten

Back to top Go down

Post by swayda Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:08 am

The 1 percent has used arbitrary labels like race, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, etc to divide the 99% for almost a century. Did you expect this to all the sudden stop with this movement? Just ignore them and stay focused on the message.

swayda

Back to top Go down

Post by jplaaten Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 am

I wasn't referring the future actions of the 1%.

jplaaten

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Very good points, just do your best to not sound so poetic and apocalyptic when discussing this movement. You're very good with words but you sound like you're reading a Hollywood movie script (don't respond by saying that Hollywood movies are part of their plan).

All we need to do is keep talking and keep the process moving. Nothing they say or do will matter, as we have our own ways of communication and outreach.

The old media is dead.
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

http://waightstillavery.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VerbatimCat Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Old media is dying and there are still those who cling to it for their only source of information.

FTFY Smile

VerbatimCat

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 am

True enough. haha
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by jplaaten Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 am

I apologize for being able to speak and write coherently; also for using upper case letters and punctuation Smile I realize it is not in vogue these days.

jplaaten

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 am

haha Sorry, I have nothing against that, as I to like to use correct punctuation. When I don't fuck up... which is often.

I take it back!
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum