Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind if I get things going?

+2
Dinahmoe
Purplebash
6 posters

Go down

Mind if I get things going? Empty Mind if I get things going?

Post by Purplebash Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:39 pm

First of all, I hate the fact that I'm so interested in this movement as well as keeping up on the forum, but I've yet to go to a protest. There have just been other things to do the past few Saturdays! Nonetheless, I'm incredibly supportive and I should certainly attend one in the near future.

That said, hey there! As I mentioned in the Introduction section, I'm Megan, a local high school student. This being the only Team that has yet to have any posts in it, I figured I'd try to get things jump-started. Whoever is leading this team is amazing for coming up with it and trying to get students and teachers involved!

I'm curious as to what some ideas are for this movement for us younger ones (and teachers)! We were hit hard by budget cuts this last year, and it all ties together. I thought about making a club at my school for this all. Schools all over could have an "Occupy [Insert school name]" club! Haha, well, it's just an idea.

Anyone else? Smile
Purplebash
Purplebash

Back to top Go down

Mind if I get things going? Empty Re: Mind if I get things going?

Post by Dinahmoe Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Yes, by all means get involved. This post was looking for ideas to bring up at the GA.
https://occupyjax.forumotion.com/t343-proposal-i-would-like-to-present-at-ga-needs-input-and-help
If you have ideas let them fly. Trust me, the information will be much better organized soon. You don't have to be there in person, if you see a team you would like to be part of, go for it. I'm hoping we employ google + and hangouts so there can be teleconferencing for meetings in the future.

I also assume the teams are getting more organized at this general assembly. There was a homeless student talking at the last GA, so trust me you are not alone!
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by bstrader Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes I am that homeless student, my name is Brandon Strader, these issues I wish to address directly affect me, if you have not been to the facebook site please do sohttps://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Students-Take-Charge-Occupy-Jacksonville/174053109347699, this is what this group is for: This group is for Florida high school students, college students, teachers, and parents who are fed up with the state of Florida's educational system. This group stands up against the decrease of educational funding, unchecked military spending, corporate lobbying, Governor Rick Scott's support of charter schools etc. As citizens of the United States we have a right to protest against corruption. We advocate for increased educational funding, increased Federal Student Aid, the preservation of our neighborhood schools, and for students to use the power of their voice and take charge of their education, their future. We are a living work group of the Occupy Jacksonville Movement.

bstrader

Back to top Go down

Post by Purplebash Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, GOOD. I am so ticked off by the excessive cuts that we had to deal with! They are the most senseless cuts I could possible imagine. I believe the Constitution even said that education should always come first in funding, since the US relies on those with a good education to make something of themselves and the world around them. Education here isn't a privilege, it's a right. I wish more students would stand up for this... we've been unfairly targeted as if we mean nothing.

I want to step up, it really is quite ridiculous. I don't want Scott's lack of interest (and knowledge) of the public school system to get in the way of my future. I hope we all have the chance to work together very soon!
Purplebash
Purplebash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Purplebash wrote:I don't want Scott's lack of interest (and knowledge) of the public school system to get in the way of my future.

Believe me, he doesn't lack either. He is on the payroll to crush unions and hand as much public money out as corporate welfare as possible. At least the parks and jails were saved so far, but that won't stop them. The teabaggers will stop at nothing till the cock brothers get their way. 2 men control an entire army of mindless robots hell bent on destroying america, and they have endless funds.
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by yogakat Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

yes, the education system in this state needs help...and that's an understatement. i know because i'm in it. i went back to college during the recession and am close to finishing. i'm at fscj. financial aid is almost nothing; i was denied this semester and i know many others who had been receiving aid since going back to school and it's just gone now...some are out, others are taking time off until they can afford it...they want us in school but they don't want to help us...what part of 'recession' don't they understand? i see that there is no problem making sure that companies get corporate welfare...

also and fyi...gov. scott is speaking out against studies in sociology and anthropology...says the jobs you get won't pay enough so he'd like to downsize those departments in state colleges/universities

yogakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Purplebash Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm

I'll admit that this is all almost making me work even harder than before (and I'm freaking overworked as it is) because I know my only hope for any post-secondary education is a scholarship.

What's funniest about the mention of the teabaggers is that they seriously think this is all good for them. They have no idea that those on top are totally against them in general; that is, the "1%" just want more money, and all the teabaggers are doing is supporting them because they think it aids them.

Why is Scott against any studies in general!? That's most certainly someone's choice. Not everybody is in a career for the money... wtf?

Purplebash
Purplebash

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennie Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Well they don't realize they are being used to further divide america. Mostly to go against the current President. Once a GOP canidate is elected, you probably will not hear much from them in the news anymore.
Kennie
Kennie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinahmoe Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Purplebash wrote:What's funniest about the mention of the teabaggers is that they seriously think this is all good for them. They have no idea that those on top are totally against them in general; that is, the "1%" just want more money, and all the teabaggers are doing is supporting them because they think it aids them.

Why is Scott against any studies in general!? That's most certainly someone's choice. Not everybody is in a career for the money... wtf?

I have a friend that defines the teabaggers as one powerball number away from the 1%. They don't know all the money in the world won't get them into the exclusive clubs

Scared stupid people are easy to govern, that is how we got a patriot act passed in record time. No one read it, not to mention how such a document was prepared so quickly??? They want dumbasses fired up by pundits on the idiot box, mob mentality, no one stops to think, they count on it and manipulate the audience to do exactly as they want. Zappa wrote a song about this in 1973 and damned if it didn't come true. Hell, they really would like slaves back, but aren't bold enough to come out and say it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUB4Wv5ooI
Dinahmoe
Dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Purplebash Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:41 pm

(Thumbs-up for the Zappa reference!)

It's upsetting that I, a 15 year old, feel honestly more intelligent than most people in office right now. I guess I'll just keep working on my education that's hardly given to me so I can making something of this all and hopefully change things for the better in the future. For now, all I can do is stand up. It's nice knowing I'm not alone.
Purplebash
Purplebash

Back to top Go down

Post by Evey Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Could everyone join the Facebook group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/302719409741007/

I wanna keep this conversation going! (and maybe meet in person...)
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down