if you are poor
if you are rich

if you were born in this country YOU ARE AN -AMERICAN-
this is not 1960
the shade of your tan means NOTHING
more importantly,
you are a Human Being, you are not special, you are not a unique snowflake
you are no more or less than any other Human being

the sooner everyone gets this, the sooner we can start to focus all that extra energy and manpower on the ACTUAL issues
thank you

Last edited by Toaster on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
Toaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Minority Solidarity group?

Post by melittophily on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Toaster,

Regardless of how a person identifies themselves and their nationality, gender, race, class, sexual orientation, disability and a slew of other things affect how we are treated both by individuals and by institutions. Sorry, but these ARE actual issues. This economic crisis itself is a racial issue. Compare black unemployment to the overall unemployment figures. Look at foreclosure rates and what that means for the black middle class. Look at the fact that women are STILL underpaid for the same work. Etc. Etc. I can say that I am "just an American" all I want, but it won't make me safe when I'm walking alone at night, and it won't stop anyone else from calling me a bitch and a queer, and it won't stop me from being denied access to resources on that basis. And on the other hand, those things don't change the fact that I benefit from being white, whether I acknowledge it or not.

Racist, sexist, and homophobic incidents have already occurred at occupations in other cities, and intelligent, passionate people, some of whom have experience in activism and social movements to offer, are hesitating to become involved because of what we know, as marginalized people, to expect.

So the purpose is simply to ensure that ALL people can meaningfully take part. If we're the 99%, then why isn't it at least 50% female yet? If we're the 99%, then why aren't we at least 30% black, as Jacksonville is? Where is the working poor? Hint: it's not because minorities are lazy or because they don't want this to succeed.

If you don't feel a need to take part, you don't have to. But you can at least acknowledge that this can't succeed as a movement of straight white middle class guys alone. If the megacorporations themselves voluntarily spend money on mechanisms to address discrimination in the workplace (most of them even beyond what the law requires), it's kind of hypocritical to claim the moral high ground over them if we aren't even willing to acknowledge that it can happen here too and find some way to redress it.

The fact that a reactionary handful of you are threatened by the idea helps confirm the need, basically.

melittophily

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:04 pm

im sorry but ive been to both GA's
i saw whites, blacks, women, men, elderly and children

the proportion of the minorities in attendance IMO has nothing to do with anything but the fact that people of people had to work/take care of business that was otherwise important to their/or their family's wellbeing, that some people are so broke they cant afford to commute, and for general unawareness of the movement for lack of being informed, be it by choice or by media control

and no this cause has never been a bunch of straight white middle class guys
it has been a bunch of pissed off disenfranchised people

i believe the current inequality issue in unemployment rates and pay grades is a product of the people in charge of the current power structure (mostly)
another factor is where you live, the quality of your education, and honestly? your I.Q.
theres trailerparks with white guys sittin around getting wasted sayin ill tell you hwut
theres ghettos with black people that run around calling themselves goons draining the system causing local harm
there are neighborhoods with ignorant people of all races
they do exist, you know it, and on the off chance you dont believe me come to my area illl be happy to show you
NOW I AM NOT SAYING that all unemployed minorities are responsible for their situations, not by a long shot, but you take every bad neighborhood in every city in every state, thats certainly enough people to pad those statistics

we are the 99%, we are united, and we are too big to fail
i believe this wholeheartedly and i believe that once we start to make change, once we change the people in charge, these problems will be taken care of

you need to get rid of the rich powerful white guys that are in charge, that are responsible for almost all of this, that go golfing and slap the waitresses ass and make nigger jokes and laugh because NOONE WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

but for that change to happen, the new regime cant be thinking like the old one, we need to realize that none of that superficial on the surface crap matters
that we are all part of the Human race
that what one group of us does affects us all
that we need to work together for the betterment of ALL OF US

there are issues right now that we have blinders to because we cant get over this inept, ancient school of thought
issues like the ever increasing population of the planet
believe it or not but the earth does not have infinite resources, right now if we got down to about 5 billion within the next 100-150 years, we could make the continuation of the human race almost inevitable
but by the year 2100 the population of earth will be roughly 10 billion, by 2150 it will be about 12-15 billion
there isnt enough fertile land on earth to create the food to sustain that many people
people have known this for decades
we do nothing to fix it
we bicker amongst eachother, we deprive countries and people we dont like of resources because we think we are better
we allow famine and war because "its their problem not ours"
its sick

make the minority solidarity group, do some good, i will be right there with you cheering, i will help you make signs and contact officials if you need any help, my phone number is floating around just call me
but sooner or later this race/gender crap has to stop
lets hope for sooner

Last edited by Toaster on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Toaster

Back to top Go down

Post by melittophily on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:47 pm

The point was to not sit around and wait for something to happen here and then haphazardly try to react - if we are organized ahead of time, our preparedness hopefully reduces the damage it does to the whole community. And "a racist comment or two" still creates an hostile environment. That's one or two racist comments too many.

I'm going to suggest a short article:
http://www.iexaminer.org/editorial/color-blindness-racism/

No one wants the "race/gender crap" to stop more than women and people of color, I assure you. Blame white supremacy and patriarchy, not the people dealing with it.

melittophily

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

and you are correct, one or two racist comments is too many, but as time has gone on, great strides have been made, just a few lifetimes ago, minorities couldnt vote, women couldnt vote,and they were basically slave labor

look where we are now
the system isnt perfect, but its as close to equal as we have ever been in history
and i absolutely do not blame the people dealing with it
i view civil rights activists the same way i do military veterans

but in 2-3 more generations and i think race/gender lines will be a thing of the past
and the sooner the better
the key is how you raise your children, racists are not born they are made
luckily that school of thought in itself has become a minority
the problem is that the people in that racist minority are the people in charge

by the way, i read that article, i agree with the message, but i think the terminology/context is slightly off
it is not color-blindness that is the new racism, it is the fear of being labeled a racist and the indifference of unequal practices that is the problem (the only thing worse than evil, is indifference to evil)
a white politician is so afraid of addressing these issues that instead of talking about it to the public, they do it behind closed doors, and thats the beginning of these ludicrous policies; stupidity and cowardice

Toaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lotus86flower on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:56 pm

"the key is how you raise your children, racists are not born they are made
luckily that school of thought in itself has become a minority
the problem is that the people in that racist minority are the people in charge"

SO TRUE! It really is all about education, and that is one of the biggest issues that needs to be resolved in our country. We have fallen way behind other countries on the matter of education.
lotus86flower

Back to top Go down

Post by lotus86flower on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 pm

melittophily wrote:Hi Toaster,

Regardless of how a person identifies themselves and their nationality, gender, race, class, sexual orientation, disability and a slew of other things affect how we are treated both by individuals and by institutions. Sorry, but these ARE actual issues. This economic crisis itself is a racial issue. Compare black unemployment to the overall unemployment figures. Look at foreclosure rates and what that means for the black middle class. Look at the fact that women are STILL underpaid for the same work. Etc. Etc. I can say that I am "just an American" all I want, but it won't make me safe when I'm walking alone at night, and it won't stop anyone else from calling me a bitch and a queer, and it won't stop me from being denied access to resources on that basis. And on the other hand, those things don't change the fact that I benefit from being white, whether I acknowledge it or not.

Racist, sexist, and homophobic incidents have already occurred at occupations in other cities, and intelligent, passionate people, some of whom have experience in activism and social movements to offer, are hesitating to become involved because of what we know, as marginalized people, to expect.

So the purpose is simply to ensure that ALL people can meaningfully take part. If we're the 99%, then why isn't it at least 50% female yet? If we're the 99%, then why aren't we at least 30% black, as Jacksonville is? Where is the working poor? Hint: it's not because minorities are lazy or because they don't want this to succeed.

If you don't feel a need to take part, you don't have to. But you can at least acknowledge that this can't succeed as a movement of straight white middle class guys alone. If the megacorporations themselves voluntarily spend money on mechanisms to address discrimination in the workplace (most of them even beyond what the law requires), it's kind of hypocritical to claim the moral high ground over them if we aren't even willing to acknowledge that it can happen here too and find some way to redress it.

The fact that a reactionary handful of you are threatened by the idea helps confirm the need, basically.

Very well put! I agree entirely with you. I feel ashamed at times to be white because of the history of white treatment of anyone other than white. And at the same time I know what discrimination feels like because I am a lesbian. I have lost respect from close minded ppl, which I barely care about. But I also have seen the men at my job progress and move up while I am held back though I know it certainly has nothing to do with my performance. Sad that these issues even exist anymore, we still have a long way to go.
lotus86flower

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm

It is an issue for some. Not all people that are technically a minority care and probably most people who are white and male don't care (just a guess, I have no idea) but because it IS an issue and it DOES effect people I see no reason to be dirisive and say this group shouldn't exist.

This group and teams like this one have been used to great effect at other Occupies and we should follow their example.
ZachAddair

http://waightstillavery.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nownow on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Just to add my two cents.

One thing we have to address on the issue of "we're all Americans" is that while we share the same history we all come from different sides of that history. And often those sides have been pitted against each other by the capitalism and the wealthy that benefits from this system. As a white-straight-male I now I have a certain privilege in our society, even though I come from a lower-middle class family, I still have the economic mobility of a white-straight-male. We need, as white-straight-males to come to terms with this, realize what it means, and live in solidarity with wimyn, POC, and LBGT communities and the struggles they face and the battles they fight. We must say to our enemies "over my dead body will you rape this womyn!", "over my dead body will you target these communities!". Not in a machismo spirit of "let me protect you", rather in a spirit of "I'm with you, I have you're back! Lets kick ass!"

On race. I myself grew up in a racially tense area of the westside. I spent a year at Forrest High School where white kids where often the targets of black groups, and white groups targeted black kids. I also know that in certain areas of Jacksonville white people can't walk down the street without the threat of violence. But in those same areas can a POC walk down the street without the threat of violence? What is the image of a black male? The music and movie industry, largely ran by white males, cast an image of violence and general aggressiveness because it sales. What is the image of black wimyn? For the most part its the same as all wimyn. One of objectification, servitude, and a lesser sex. These images are produced and feed to the public by companies like Clear Channel, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX. This does not, of course, remove personable responsibility on the part of those who buy into and reproduce these images and stereotypes. We must align ourselves with POC who are battling against these stereotypes within their neighborhoods and not, through our sub-conscience, co-opt their struggle with white-middle-class activism.

This all falls under the topic of institutionalized racism if anybody is interested in looking further and more in-depth into it. Its definitely worth versing yourself in. We all have to acknowledge that we have different cultures and we shouldn't seek to homogenize them. Rather we should embrace, learn, and nurture each other in our differences.

In a perfect world this wouldn't be an issue. But this world is far from perfect. So heres to building a new world.

P.S. Black, POC communities, wimyn, and LBGT have been disenfranchised much longer than the white-male-middle-class people thats just now feeling the wrath of capitalism and are no longer the beneficiaries of it. I'm glad that you've started waking up, now open your eyes. This movement needs to address that there is not this and that wrong with capitalism and the the state, but that capitalism and the state is inherently wrong. !Ya Basta!

nownow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top