Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery...

+7
geekycrafter
scumshine
CharleyNovember
Evey
bk99
friendofcash
lunarfaerie
11 posters

Go down

DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery... Empty DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery...

Post by lunarfaerie Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:18 pm

i have a downtown gallery owner who would like to host a sewing & crafting circle to create wearable art in support of the movement...we have ideas for bracelets, shirts decorated with paint and textiles/patches etc...hats, umbrellas, fans, any # of crafty things...

we were thinking get some lists of possible useful supplies for donation out there to our supporters...things like old tshirts (any color, really...since there are many ways to use t-shirts for re-purposing...) water bottles (can be used for bracelet forms & such)...old sheets for bandanna making...in other words, don't throw anything away!!!! almost anything can be used to create art to support our message...the more creative, the more likely to garner attention...

i can help with coordinating scheduling with the gallery owner and promoting to fellow crafty folks, but i wanted to tip the idea to you all since it is right up your alley...

Last edited by lunarfaerie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trying to better promote thread through more descriptive name...)
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery... Empty Re: DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery...

Post by friendofcash Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:47 am

Sounds fabulous!

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery... Empty Re: DIY your Occupy...Planning Group for Crafting Circle to held at Downtown Gallery...

Post by bk99 Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:20 pm

So when would be a good time to get together and make cool things for the Occupy revolution? Would Saturdays before or after the rally work? I'm not a morning person so maybe after would be best. You can get a pack of foam from the Family Dollar for $1, this is good for making stamps. We also have a surger, a sewing machine and a silkscreen station. Bee Gallery is located in the Jax Landing.

bk99

Back to top Go down

Post by Evey Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm in! Just let me know when =) Weekday evenings are good for me, probably just not Sunday.
Evey
Evey

Back to top Go down

Post by lunarfaerie Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 pm

i submit that once we decide on a date we open up our discussion through a facebook group as well...that way we can easily promote event(s), etc from that page...and invite folks to participate & donate through that.

thoughts? =)
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by CharleyNovember Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm good Tuesday-Thursday-ish in the evenings. I know it is only 3 days a week but my family is stretched thin. If the activities are suitable for two artistic but really high energy preteens then I can bring them with me on other nights also.

CharleyNovember

Back to top Go down

Post by scumshine Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 pm

god i wished i lived closer
scumshine
scumshine

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=698670684

Back to top Go down

Post by geekycrafter Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 pm

I am in.

geekycrafter

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:05 am

Tuesday evenings are City Council Meetings. Wednesdays are best for me but I could adjust some of my responsibilities to make Tuesday, except 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, some Thursdays. Fridays the Art Group/Team may keep having some meetings that will probably always be on Friday afternoons at 5 pm. This is an exciting production. Ohhh, I hope I can go!!

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeropsia Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:20 am

What about those of us who... well.... haven't ever done any sewing or t-shirt or bracelet-making but are interested. Will guidance be provided?

Aeropsia

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelaC Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 am

I'm in, and I can bring my sewing machine.
AngelaC
AngelaC

Back to top Go down

Post by lunarfaerie Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 pm

there will definitely be lots for everyone to do...
all skill levels welcome! we can all work together to figure out the tough bits Wink
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by lunarfaerie Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:27 pm

another important thing is to reach out to your networks and see about getting donations of crafting supplies...

things like old tshirts, tank tops, even sweaters (any color, really...since there are many ways to use t-shirts for re-purposing...)
water bottles (can be used for bracelet forms & such)...
old sheets (fabric) for bandanna making...
paint & markers - fabric paints especially
ribbons, trims and findings
umbrellas
pop-sickle sticks & paint stirrer sticks (great for handles on signs, etc)
posterboard cardboard
ball caps & other hats
plastic utensils, esp knives (for fan making)
elmers glue
hot glue & glue guns
beads, buttons, etc
scrap-booking charms and doo-dads...esp letters & #s...(picture a 99% charm dangling from a hair clip or sunglasses...)
stencils & stamps

in other words, don't throw anything away!!!! almost anything can be used to create art to support our message...the more creative, the more likely to garner attention...here is a link to some DIY and craft projects i have found recently- it's on pinterest, but if you like, you could look there for ideas as well...
http://pinterest.com/lunarfaerie/diy-your-occupy/

=)
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by lunarfaerie Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

sent to me today by bee gallery owner:
>>>>
"yes please, I want to be on the art team
Friday night will work for me but I'm not sure Jen (the surger owner) can make it, however we could use everything else and the regular sewing machine. I have foam ready to make stamps and material we can use for stamps and then cut into patches I will ask Jan if she can do this Friday, oh and if the art team wants to meet at the Bee Gallery, that is cool too."
>>>>>

so we are all good to go, and she is excited to be part of the art team...i hope someone in the teams leadership will get a chance to reach out to her and include her in the convo as well... she is bk99 on the forum =)

Last edited by lunarfaerie on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by geekycrafter Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 pm

@Aeropsia: I have been crafting for a few years now. You are more than welcome to pick my brain and I will be more than happy to hook you up with any of the people or resources that I know of.

geekycrafter

Back to top Go down

Post by lunarfaerie Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:47 pm

i would also submit that we come up with a consensus on date/time so that we can get this event submitted for the calendar...

maybe a volunteer to keep track of supplies ppl offer to bring? would make it easier to plan a few quick "how to's" for the types of crafts we will have the supplies to make right away...

~love & light~
lunarfaerie
lunarfaerie

Back to top Go down

Post by geekycrafter Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 pm

@lunarfaerie - My schedule is pretty open. I have scrap yarn that I can bring plus a few other things.

geekycrafter

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:50 am

Hi, bk99. I'm Debbie. I found out about your gallery Wednesday night. Yesterday and today were crazy. But I can't wait to see it. I haven't been to the Landing in years. I look forward to meeting you and your gallery. Please find me tomorrow. Peace ...

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:53 am

I did see your early post. Can't wait to meet you. Thanks for the ingenious idea. People were really talking about it tonight.

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:25 am

The Art Team is now the Culture Team. I plan on posting a list of the projects we defined at the meeting Friday afternoon. I should be able to post that by Monday morning. We had 12 great volunteers show up, ready to get busy. Attendees: Please feel free to refresh my mind. You can PM me if you don't want to post to the board. If anybody, not just team members, has an idea for our group, please let us know. We had a blast today.

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelaC Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am

My weekend was a disaster - I won't bore anyone with the details. After planning to attend, I couldn't get to the crafty thing at the Landing. I still very much want to be involved, so I'll keep an eye out here and get to the next one.
AngelaC
AngelaC

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:57 am

Please continue to monitor the forum to keep apprised of our projects. There will be MANY. You can enjoy visiting what feeds your fancy. See you soon. Peace ... Debbie

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by chyrle Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 am

I think this is the team that I can be most helpful on. I own a website that sells personalized items and, therefore, I have experience in and access to many items at wholesale prices that we might be able to utilize for the movement.

I'll keep an eye out for your next meeting.

Chyrle

chyrle

Back to top Go down

Post by TinyLotus Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Was there ever a time/date decided on? I'd love to attend - I'm free Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.

TinyLotus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down