Occupy Jacksonville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have we done to connect to Occupy New York?

5 posters

Go down

What have we done to connect to Occupy New York? Empty What have we done to connect to Occupy New York?

Post by ZachAddair Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 am

Have we made any steps towards connecting our group with the Wall Street Occupiers? They are the ones that got me started and I drove up there to see them for a few days. They taught me everything I know about how to run a GA and how to protest. I really want our livefeed up and them to know we are around!
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

http://waightstillavery.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

What have we done to connect to Occupy New York? Empty Re: What have we done to connect to Occupy New York?

Post by TheMightyLunchbox Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 am

You went up there, man. This might be a good way for you to step in and get more active.

TheMightyLunchbox

Back to top Go down

What have we done to connect to Occupy New York? Empty Re: What have we done to connect to Occupy New York?

Post by AddHope Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 pm

The next step in this movement might be a fundraiser that could be used to send delegates to Occupy Wall St. This would bypass the need for any city to risk 'Occupying' a park in protest, while also allowing people who are unable to participate locally to be represented, as well as(possibly most importantly) establishing NYC and OWS as the base of operations in the r(evolution). Think 1770's Continental Congress. With the use of internet and social media, these delegates would be able to report and receive feedback instantly. Any thoughts?

AddHope

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyLunchbox Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:29 pm

AddHope wrote:The next step in this movement might be a fundraiser that could be used to send delegates to Occupy Wall St. This would bypass the need for any city to risk 'Occupying' a park in protest, while also allowing people who are unable to participate locally to be represented, as well as(possibly most importantly) establishing NYC and OWS as the base of operations in the r(evolution). Think 1770's Continental Congress. With the use of internet and social media, these delegates would be able to report and receive feedback instantly. Any thoughts?

I don't mean to bash your idea, man. But, that all seems a bit unnecessary

TheMightyLunchbox

Back to top Go down

Post by AddHope Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:40 pm

@TheMightyLunchBox All ideas and opinions are much appreciated.
With that said, the fundraiser for delegates might be the next step in the evolution of this movement. Not everyone is able to hold their fists in the air in revolt. There are alot of people who are unable to participate in the GA's due to full time jobs, home responsibilities, job securities, illnesses, or physical handicaps. Instead of focusing on a list of demands, organization may be the key to solidifying this movement as a Revolution. It was not until the 13 original states joined together and began communicating that the American Revolution was set in stone.

AddHope

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:56 pm

TheMightyLunchbox wrote:
AddHope wrote:The next step in this movement might be a fundraiser that could be used to send delegates to Occupy Wall St. This would bypass the need for any city to risk 'Occupying' a park in protest, while also allowing people who are unable to participate locally to be represented, as well as(possibly most importantly) establishing NYC and OWS as the base of operations in the r(evolution). Think 1770's Continental Congress. With the use of internet and social media, these delegates would be able to report and receive feedback instantly. Any thoughts?

I don't mean to bash your idea, man. But, that all seems a bit unnecessary

I disagree. We should be supporting them and possible sending people up to meet with them or even stay with them. This is a great idea and you should bring it up Saturday! (or I will Wink
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I plan on going when I have the means. It's my inspiration to work right now! Can't wait!!

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm

I will mention on Saturday that if we really want to see this happen, we could put funds together and send people up. We of course would have to decide how many were going to go and stay or if they'd all come back, etc...

But we will need to raise supplies or money to send them anyway, so we have time. Smile
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by AddHope Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 pm

A group of us in Neptune Beach have been working on a page/blog to host the donations and communications with delegates. It is imperative that we collectively send people, so that this will be a representation of OccupyJax as a whole. If one wants to individually travel to NYC in support of OWS, that is great for the experience and support; but the key is for OccupyJax to send people as representatives of our city to NYC. Once OccupyJax gets ambassadors to NYC, we could raise this issue in their GA and possibly have this spread cross country.

Look forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!

AddHope

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm

How close are you to finishing this page? I agree 100% that we have to vote and pick candidates. We will probably need to pick from volunteers though, as not everyone CAN or wants to go.

We should talk about how we want this to work this Saturday for sure.

We have so much to talk about!!!!
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by AddHope Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 pm

I am unsure about the progress of the page. I will give an update and link as soon as possible.

Maybe we should bring the idea to light at the GA Saturday and judge the reaction. It is tough enough to get people to participate in a FREE gathering, much less donate a small amount of money for a protest. Ultimately, the idea is to use the American Revolution of 1776 as a blueprint to connect all of the Occupy movements to a central location(NYC), so that communication will promote progress.

AddHope

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Well said Smile
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyLunchbox Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I still disagree. The thing that keeps this movement in the Air is strong community pillars all over the country. Just because we had a decent turnout at one general assembly doesn't mean we have a strong movement here. Your idea isn't bad. We're just not at that point yet.

TheMightyLunchbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAddair Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:12 am

We are planning for the future. This will take weeks and months before we are ready, possibly. It hasn't even been a month sense Occupy Wall Street.

We can't say how long any of it will take. All we can do is take everything step by step by step... And see where it gets us.
ZachAddair
ZachAddair

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyLunchbox Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 am

But, we have people already paying their own way to go there. And, what would delegates do that we couldn't do from here through other means? If we were going to raise money, I'd like to see it go toward something more long-term like equipment for the tech team or financing the legal team.

TheMightyLunchbox

Back to top Go down

Post by friendofcash Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 am

Some of us have been paying our own way. To be able to Occupy New York and represent Jacksonville would be quite an experience. Solidarity!

friendofcash

Back to top Go down

Post by skchange Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm

I have been wanting to move to New York most my whole life. I am now seperated from my husband (and it is permanent he moved his girlfriend in and everything) I have nothing much to keep me here any more. I have been planning a trip up and just have not had the time. And, could not figure where I would keep my car parked. So I was thinking of maybe busing it. Of course, last time I visited, it was very hard for me to leave. Laughing I don't know how I would be representative of Jax. But I could say something while I was there or something like that.
skchange
skchange

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down